Friday, August 14, 2009

Kerfuffle

I took last week off, and then started this week with the grand intentions of getting back into the swing of things and posting every day again. And then the phone rang.
You know how sometimes you get some sort of news, and it swoops along and changes everything? This was one of those phone calls. It was the charter Montessori school that we applied to last spring. Rowan had been wait listed. Last we checked, he was 12 on the list, so we were pretty much resigned to it not happening.
But it did. They called on Monay offering him a spot, and at first I didn't know what to say. I mean, the poor guy has been at school since July 7th, and the Montessori school is on a traditional calendar. And this would be his 3rd school in as many years. But... but... but...
I freaked out a little and called Amy asking what I should do. I drove over to the elementary school, Niall and Eleri in tow, and asked them what I would have to do to withdraw him. What did they think? Was I crazy? I talked to his guidance counselor. We made a plan. And then I ran back home and packed a lunch to take back to his school so we could eat with him and give him the news.
I called John and made sure he was in agreement. I called the school and accepted the slot. I called Mom and Fran to give them then news. And the whole time running through the back of my mind was He got it. He got it. Thank you, God. Thank you, God. He got it! and I was crying because I was so happy.
It threw me all in a spin. I forgot the grocery store. I forgot to get refills at the pharmacy. I forgot about the laundry and the bathroom and every other thing. And Tuesday I was driving over to the new school to pick up paper work, and still walking around in a daze of thanks and happiness and well being. And Wednesday was his last day at the elementary school (this was the plan we agreed on) because it was early release day and we were keeping the neighbor kids for the afternoon until their Mom could get home. And Thursday was going to the Walmart and getting some of his new school supplies (like a clipboard and construction paper and... and... and...) and forgetting once again to buy food because - YAY! School!
It's difficult to comprehend unless you've seen him. How much this means for how he learns and how terribly bright he is and how the drudgery of worksheets and centers (OH the horrid CENTERS) were killing his little sense of self. It's an answer to prayer.
And so we ate pizza one night and KFC one night and hot dogs one night... because I kept forgetting that we still needed to eat in all the fog of new and thanks and Rowan is home from school because he's on break now because his new school doesn't start until the end of the month.

Is it any wonder I didn't remember a thing about a piddly little blog?

No comments: