Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Kindergarten - bring your parents to school day

I love these days. It's so much fun to go into his classroom and see what he's been doing and how it's done.
Today he showed us how to use the stamp game to do addition.
I wish I'd learned this way when I was a child. It would have made so much more sense to me!
Of course, I forgot my camera, so I had to make do with crappy cell phone pictures...

Image
Niall shows John the tiles. They are divided into ones, tens, hundreds, and thousands.

Image
He does a math problem for us. Let me see if I can explain it...

First he got out the number of tiles he needed for each part of the problem and laid them out.
Then he started at the ones, and would pick them up and count until he reached 10.
Once he had 10, he would put those back into the box and get out 1 tile for the next highest group.
(So when he counted up 10 of the ones column, he put those back and got out one of the tens tiles.)
If he ran out of tiles before he got to 10, that was the amount he had for that column.

Image
His answer. I love the backwards 5 that he crossed out and made right.

No comments: