Monday, May 09, 2011

A little ambition

About a week before the tornado hit, we drove out to Broadwell's nursery in Angier and got some plants. We got a maple tree for the front yard, 3 little shrubs that I think are bayberries but I could be wrong. There are no labels at Broadwell's. And we got this twig that was supposed to be a blueberry bush.
That weekend, we planted all of it. The next weekend, we got a tornado. But wouldn't you know... all the yard damage was in the back. Not a single one of our new little plants took a hit. Not even the blueberry twig.


I call it a twig because it's really not a proper bush yet, but it's in a sheltered spot that gets lots of sun, so that will change. 
I didn't expect much of it this year, what with being planted and whipped around in a windstorm and pretty much ignored in all the mayhem. But then I went out to check on it, and what do you know? This little guy has big ambition.
 
I'm pretty proud of the plucky little thing.

2 comments:

Spring said...

Winner! Now go get ten more.

(My carrots are coming up. You have no idea how surprised I am)

Grumpy said...

A little ray of hope that normalcy will return to your home! ((Hugs)) been thinking about you!

May the blueberries multiply and feed your spirit!