Wednesday, February 10, 2010

General update

So I know I haven't been updating here. I don't really have a reason.
Most of you who look at this already know that Eleri has been diagnosed with failure to thrive. I hate even typing that out. Our ped says that it's nothing to do with her development... it's just that she hasn't gained weight over the last 6 months and her weight has plateau'd. He'd be fine with it if she was following some sort of growth curve, even if it was below the charts. But she's not following any curve. She's just not gaining weight.
So they took blood and ran some tests, and he just called to let me know that they weren't able to run all the tests that they wanted to run. They ended up not having enough blood. So we're supposed to go to the hospital tomorrow to their big lab and they'll do another draw and run the metabolic tests that they weren't able to run before - they're testing for things like Celiac disease and other malabsorption problems.
I don't know how I feel about all this. I'm tired of worrying. I'm tired of fretting. I'm just plain tired. We go in next week for another weight check, and I hope that the addition of yogurt and cheese and the fact that I'm presenting her with food at every turn has put an ounce or two on her. I don't care what her growth curve looks like. I just want her to have one.

Niall is Niall. Full of mischief and attitude and spunk. He feels that waiting for kindergarten is taking entirely too long and doesn't like the fact that all the other kids are gone to school during the day so he doesn't have anyone to play with. Next year can't come fast enough for him.

Rowan is doing well. He's still on soft foods and isn't in PE at school, but other than that he's back to his old self. He's even wearing jeans again instead of elastic waisted pants. We see Dr. T. for another follow up on March 2nd.

I sold our stroller and saved up some knitting money and got flooring. It's here now, "acclimating" to the house. I hope to get the carpet out of here soon.

1 comment:

Barb Nelson said...

My Greggo was diagnosed as failure to thrive too. I hated it, but there wasn't much I could do about it. The kid just does not like to eat. He's on the charts now, but it took awhile to get there.....and he's only at about 10% for weight and 75% for height. Trying to find pants for the kid is a pain. Hope all is well with Eleri....some kids just don't like to be defined by the normal scales...and that's OK!!!!