Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Yum

I've been meaning to get back to making my own bread for a while, but kept putting it off because I remember how many tries it took me to get a good loaf when I did it before. Once I finally got it, I knew what to do, but we had quite a few sad and sorry loaves before I got there. So, I kept putting it off.
A while ago, Fran showed me this article about how to make really good bread in 5 minutes a day. I figured I could manage that, but it still took me this long to get a pizza peel and stone and actually try it out. But yesterday when we were at the store and I knew we were out of bread, I purposely decided to NOT buy any, because I knew if I had bread in the house I would put it off again.
My first loaf looks pretty good, and tastes pretty great, and that's even with all the mistakes I made in the making it. I didn't leave it in the fridge long enough, and I forgot about it on the peel so it tried to slither away, and I think some cornmeal got on the inside when I had to reshape it after the slithering, and then I forgot about it in the oven. Actually, this bread seems to be pretty idiot proof, which makes it perfect for me.
Yay for bread! The boys had some this morning, and came running back for an extra slice to have in the car on the way to school. I think we have a winner!

3 comments:

Britta said...

recipe please?!?!
:)

Unknown said...

Ok, it's not totally idiot proof. I tried it a while back and I'm not sure what exactly I did wrong, but I ended up with a flat mess. Maybe it was my yeast?? Anywho, you've inspired me to try it again.

Grumpy said...

I'm with sdcarroway, I had the same flop, only my was dry and awful! LOL!

Where did you get your pizza peel and stone? I'm thinking i need to make more bread... :)