Saturday, October 15, 2011

New Toy!

It took 9 months of saving up to get it, but today I bought a DSLR camera. I got it used, off craigslist, from a lady who said that she got it but she never took it off auto, and it was too big to carry around in her pocketbook - just the situation I was looking for.
It was painful, at times, to want something and not be able to get it. We're such a RIGHT NOW kind of society and it would be so easy to walk in to a place and put it on a card and make payments on it. But I'm trying to not live that way. I think the previous generations had a better idea - if you want something, save up for it. You don't get it as fast, but it's cheaper in the long run when you're not paying interest. And that way I had the option of finding a used camera and paying even less. Now I have to apologize to John for all the whining and whinging all this time.
I've been frustrated with my old camera for a while now. I'm so excited to learn a whole new set of skills, and figure out how to take even better pictures with this new one.
As we all know, I name my things. I have yet to name this guy, though. I've only had him for a couple of hours. Yes, he's a boy. Don't you think?
 
Yes, it's a picture of a thing that takes pictures. Magic!
 
As of yet, I am still getting used to holding it in my hands. Actually turning the lens to zoom in on something instead of flipping a dial with my thumb. The shutter button is intuitive, so that's good. I have no idea what to do to access menus and such, and have to learn how to read the meter business that it's trying to show me. So, for now, I have it on auto mode. Give me a bit and I will be spreading my wings - although I must say... I already love it more in full auto than I did my old camera in aperture mode. 
First pics!

 

1 comment:

Kelley0427 said...

haha!! welcome to the dslr world!! it will never be the same!