Thursday, February 19, 2009

husband meme

I lifted this one off facebook/dooce. It's as good a way as any to get the blogging going. And I'm letting Niall play in the bathroom sink with a couple of bulb syringes (I shut off the water supply under the sink. Mama ain't no fool) so I have a little time. I secretly love doing these things anyway.

Questions about you and the hubs:

What are your middle names?
Mine is Elizabeth, his is Howell. I decided to not do the Southern Girl thing and dropped my maiden name when I got married. Maybe I was tired of spelling it? Maybe it was because of that time in 5th grade when Matt Ripley erased a "D" at the end of it on the front of my notebook, making it say "Wehrd" (weird). Remember that? When notebooks came with those paper covers and you could use an eraser to write on them... anyway...
Howell is a family name. His mom has a coat of arms with it on there hanging in their house somewhere. If his middle name had been Thomas, he would have been a "IV."

How long have you been together?
We started dating in 1997, so 12 years. Actually it will be 12 years ago Saturday that we had our first date.

How long did you know each other before you started dating?
I met him a year before, but I didn't really know him know him. We lived in the same dorm the next year, and I saw him around, thought he was a hottie.* Started to be friends for a little over a month, and then started dating.

Who asked whom out?
We decided it was our first date after the fact. It just worked out that way. But I said that I liked him first. Totally me there. I'm still impressed with myself over that one.

How old are each of you?
I'm 33, he's 32. I'm 8 months older. Rowan frequently reminds us of this fact. He also reminds us that I am the fattest. He's sensitive like that.

Whose siblings do you see the most?
Mine by default. Ben was in Italy and then England for a long time. Dan is all over the place. My sister lives with my Mom and my brothers live 3 blocks away, so any time we see her we see them too.

Which situation is hardest on you as a couple?
I think figuring out how to deal with the kids. That and figuring out what to do about dinner.

Did you go to the same school?
Yep. We met at USC. Go Gamecocks.

Are you from the same hometown?
No. He lived in Spartanburg his whole life until going to college. I lived in a few places before landing in Greenville.

Who is smarter?
I'm not going to touch that one.

Who is the most sensitive?
Let's put it this way...
millipuppy.jpg picture by sweetteasoakers vulcanjohn.jpg picture by sweetteasoakers
Me ----------John
That picture was the whole reason I wanted to do this meme.

Where do you eat out most as a couple?
Couples do that? Without kids? What's that like?

Where is the farthest you two have traveled as a couple?
Again with the couple business? I guess you could say Oregon, but we moved there. Does that count? Maybe. It seems that when we travel, there's always other people involved. Like we went to Vermont, but Fran was with us. Or we'd go to Indiana, but that's to visit my family. The only "vacation" we've ever been on where it was just us was our honeymoon. That's just how it goes when you have small children.

Who has the craziest exes?
ummm... again with the not touching that one.

Who has the worst temper?
That would be me. John quietly seethes. I freak out on a semi-regular basis. It works for us.

Who does the cooking?
I do. It really annoys John when he asks me how much of something goes into what he's trying to make and I look at him blankly and then say "some."
He sticks to the stuff with directions printed on the box.

Who is the neat freak?
Neither of us. Our house is a spectacular balance of chaos held together with duct tape.

Who is more stubborn?
Ummm me? Him? Not sure.

Who hogs the bed?
I do. By far. Why not? He lays there like a log. A vampire log. If you don't use it, you lose it, buddy.

Who wakes up earlier?
He does. Rowan comes tiptoeing in and wakes us both, but John is the one who gets up. Right now I'm using the excuse of being up several times a night with the pixie.

Where was your first date?
We went to see the re-release of The Empire Strikes Back. I wasn't too big on going, but everyone was so I went too. He paid for me because I didn't have any money to go, and he offered so I wouldn't have to stay back at the dorm by myself. There was a guy dressed up as Princess Leia there. He had Honeybuns on the sides of his head for her hair. and a beard. But anyway, then we got separated from the group and had to sit by ourselves. And then they all left us so it was just us in his car going home, only we didn't go home - we went on a hunt for an open Taco Bell. We drove all over but they were all closed, so we settled for Burger King. And then we went home, but he didn't go home. We hung out in my room and I told him I liked him and then we went to sleep because we had Adopt A Highway the next morning. Awww.

Who is more jealous?
Me. I can admit it. I have a post-partum body and he works on a college campus. But that's ok. I'm secure. And he puts up with that whole Johnny Depp thing. And that Jacoby thing... and that Eddie Vedder thing... and that Edward the vampire thing...

How long did it take you to get serious?
I don't think we ever considered anything other than serious. Once we finally admitted that we liked each other, there was no going back. I remember he was making plans for the summer when we'd only been dating for a couple of weeks, and thinking "okay then," and that was that.

Who eats more?
I eat more at a time, and he eats more often. Only I'm eating pretty often now, too, what with the whole breastfeeding thing and all.

Who does the laundry?
I do the laundry, he does the dishes. Mostly. Sometimes I have to do a load of dishes, and sometimes he has to switch the laundry over for me. I don't recall him folding things though. Punk.

Who's better with the computer?
That is his domain. I whine and say "fiiiiiiix it."

Who drives when you are together?
He does. If he drives, I get to knit. That sounds fair to me.

*Hottie - a specific term for boys that Rachel and I used. One could be a hottie if you enjoyed his looks from afar. If you spoke to him, it had to be brief comments here and there. No real conversation. This was called an encounter. If you actually got to know the hottie and had real conversations with him, he could no longer be a hottie. He would either remove all hotness because he said stupid things or had an attitude, or he would move beyond hottie into "this guy I like."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

blah blah blah... thanks for telling all of our innermost secrets! :P

By the way, meme is pronounced "meem" as in rhyming with creme.

Milli said...

But I *like* saying me-me.